Leather upholstery will last four or five times longer than fabric if it is cleaned and protected on a regular basis. Over time, body oils, perspiration, skin acids and other soils and dirt can work their way into the leather.
Many of the over the counter leather cleaning products can damage or shorten the life of your leather upholstery. Look for products that have a neutral Ph and are single use products, such as separate cleaners and protectants.
We highly recommend Chem-Dry leather care products which have been endorsed by more than 300 tanneries and manufacturers.
Different types of consumer leather products.
· Aniline - Also known as natural, pure, naked or unprotected leather. (least common)
· Protected - Also known as finished semi-aniline, everyday, pigmented and painted leather. (most common, found on consumer leather products)
· Nubuck - Also known as chaps, distressed, bomber and suede leather. (Common)
How does leather upholstery get dirty?
· Oils & Grease - Body oils from both humans and animals attach and hold on to leather. Body oils are easily transferred to leather upholstered furniture and can cause serious damage to their protective finishes.
· Atmospheric Soils - The dust that builds up on your furniture over time. Other airborne soils such as cooking oils and atmospheric pollution are a part of daily life in every home. These elements can break down protectants and dry out leather upholstery over time.
· Common Soils – In Tampa FL Primarily sand and soils from outside brought into the home by people and pets.
· Dyes and Inks - The dyes and inks from everyday materials such as newspapers and denim can transfer onto leather upholstery through prolonged contact. Not to exclude leaky ink pens and aspiring toddler artists that create stains on leather.
How often should I clean my leather?
A regular cleaning schedule includes professional cleaning twice a year. Between professional cleanings, you can maintain the health and beauty of your leather furniture by cleaning with Chem-Dry Soft Cleaner Chem-Dry Protection Cream. Both products are found in the Chem-Dry Home Leather Care from your Chem-Dry of Tampa FL technician. Call Chem-Dry of Tampa for a free estimate (813)402-8403, or visit us online at www.tampascarpetcleaning.com