Okay, some how you got oil in your carpet and you're trying figure out what to do. Well the good news is you're going to be able to get the oil spot out pretty quickly. The bad news is that it's going to take a little work. As a professional carpet cleaner in Tampa FL I get oil out of carpet on a regular basis. The oil is not going to be removed by water alone. Oil spots aren't like other stains. It's not water soluble. It requires something to help break apart the oil molecules so that it can be removed from the carpet. You're in luck the thing that you need to break down the oil is already in your kitchen, dish washing soap.
So here is the list of items you'll need:
- Water or carbonated water (carbonated is preferred)
- 1/2 tsp of dish washing soap ( I prefer dawn for this particular spot)
- 3 white terry cloth towels
- Measuring cup
Here's how to get oil out of carpet.
- Mix 2 cups (16oz) of carbonated water and the dish washing soap together to create a cleaning solution.
- Pour about 1 cup of the cleaning solution over the oil spots in the carpet. Now wait 30 seconds.
- Take the white terry cloth towel and start to blot the spots to remove the oil. Make sure to move to a new clean spot on the towel as you blot.
- Pour the rest of the cleaning solution on the oil and blot with a new clean towel.
- Finally lay the 3rd towel on the spot and stand on it for about one minute. Move the towel to another clean dry spot and stand on it again.
- Let it air dry.
For professional stain removal in Tampa FL call Chem-Dry of Tampa.